Monday, October 20, 2008

The past 2 weeks...Part One

I always hate it when I get far behind in blogging. I feel I owe it all the faithful readers out there to backtrack and blog about the time I've been away. I am a little type A sometimes and can't go out of order, so we'll be starting 2 weeks ago, when Mallory left for FIVE glorious days!!!



She left with BMom and Pop after Brad's soccer game...around 6:30. As you saw in the last post, there were no tears or worries about Mallory leaving for such a long time. I knew she would have a blast with Julia and her grandparents...although we found out after the trip was over that Larry wasn't even home the whole week! God bless Sharon. She kept two 2 year olds for almost a week straight and didn't lose her mind!! I guess it helped that they are her grandchildren and she planned lots of fun stuff to do. Here is what Mallory's week was like: church on Sunday in matching outfits (her and Julia ended up in a Sunday school room with Pop playing instead of the nursery), Chuck E. Cheese after church (Brad's Nanny got to go too!), feeding ducks, manicure and pedicure, pictures in matching outfits, making cookies, shopping at Target, visiting the hermit crabs at BMom's work, lots of picnics on the porch, a high school football game, sleeping in the same room as Julia (the mommies didn't think this would work, but it did!) and lots of other secret things that Mallory probably didn't tell me about:) It was a sweet reunion at Brad's game in Dallas. She ran to me and wouldn't let me put her down for the whole first half. She just kept looking at me and smiling and laughing! It was like she couldn't believe I was back! Thanks again BMom. Mallory and I had a lot of fun that week!!

It was so strange leaving the game with one child. We went to eat dinner and it was so quiet. Truthfully, I think Morgan was extremely bored with just me. The car rides were a lot quieter, meal times weren't near as entertaining and baths were boring. The girl LOVES her big sister. I do think she enjoyed getting some one on one attention, but was super excited to see Mallory by the end of the week.

Morgan got to spend some quality time with her friend Madelyn. They are almost exactly 6 months apart. Usually big sister is hogging her, so Morgan was excited to finally be able to talk to Maddie herself and play with her. Random side note: Lori, I totally think Morgan looks like Faith in this picture. It's probably the lack of hair!!

We started off our week with a playdate at Chick Fil A. It was fabulous! I put Morgan in a high chair and actually got to carry on a conversation with the other mommies! We left early for a doctor's appointment. 30 minutes later we were back home with Amoxicillin for an ear infection. That wasn't going to put a kink in my plans, don't worry!

Pretty much every night and naptime (minus a few naps for mom here and there) was spent sanding, painting and rearranging the furniture in our living room and the "new" kitchen table I scored from our church's garage sale. So, needless to say, the week was not very relaxing, but I did get a lot accomplished! I'm saving before and after photos for another post since I haven't finished the chairs yet. If you ever want to be motivated to get some stuff done around your house, offer to host a baby shower!!!
And, the best part was a date night with another couple! We went to dinner and then to see the movie Fireproof. Very good! The beginning started off a little rough with the acting, but I highly recommend it for married couples to see. Whether or not you relate to Kirk's struggle, there are parts that every couple can relate to in their marriage. It will make you thankful for your marriage and pray for it more!
If I'm going to be honest here, I didn't really miss Mallory. Of course throughout everyday I would think of the silly things she says or does, but I really enjoyed the one on one time I had with Morgan. It gave me time to focus on her and get to know her a little more...if that makes any sense. Jenn and I agreed we need to make it a tradition every October. I am also thankful for grandparents (my parents included) that are willing to keep their grandchildren for a week when they haven't done it in a LONG time!! That takes a lot of energy! I know Mallory and Morgan will appreciate it when they are older.
I also had time to gear up for the un-spoiling that is still in progress from a crazy 2 weeks with Mallory back! She has seen every immediate family member (minus LaShay and Steve) in the last few weeks. To say that she is a little off balance is an understatement on some days:)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Love the bath picture!

B-Mom said...

Hey part of the fun of sending 'em away is "unspoiling" them when they return. I don't have a guilt trip....ha! Loved every minute of it. Especially the teaching Julia to sing "There's Something About that Name" (aka "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus") I wouldn't trade a minute!

Lori said...

That is so funny. I always look throught the pics before I read and I stopped on that one of Morgan and thought why did she post an old pic of Faith. I am sure it is the hair and the super cute cheeks, but I laughed when I read and you thought the same thing. So funny. I will talk to you tomorrow about this weekend, but I can't wait to see you guys!!!!

campers said...

So it must be my Type A also cause I love getting caught up! Thanks for the update!