Friday, January 12, 2007

The grossest of all

During my days as an E.R. nurse, I saw some pretty nasty things. The obvious: blood, vomit, poop, broken bones. The not so obvious: smelly people, lice in the hair, boils in interesting places, horrible diabetic ulcers on feet and lots of other things that were good topics at the nurse's station while the patient was waiting in the room:)

Recently, I have come across probably the most nasty of them all: the public highchair.

Normally, I wouldn't even think about such things...but Mallory has recently achieved high chair status in restaurants. I am now suspicious of them all! The buckles gross me out the most-and that is what Mallory goes for first, to put in her mouth. Have you ever really examined one of the buckles? They are sticky, gooey and caked with nastiness!! My mother in law gave me a high chair cover back when I was pregnant, but I thought it would be too much of a hassle or too "high maintenance". Now I'm thinking it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I'm usually not such a germ-a-phobe. Sometimes I touch the handle to flush the toilet in a public bathroom (gasp!) and I have had someone else's vomit on me before (you wouldn't run and get gloves on if someone was puking their guts up, would you?). But for some reason, the high chairs have gotten to me. I'm tempted to carry Clorox wipes in my diaper bag now, and wipe down all surfaces of anything that Mallory may come in contact with.

Unfortunately, I know this is just the beginning. We still have elementary school germs to get through...yikes!

9 comments:

B-Mom said...

We didn't have those covers when our babies were in high chairs...but if they had I woulda used 'em. Look how they turned out from all those germs they were subjected to!!

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to tell you that Mallory now has her own "high chair" thingy that fits onto a chair like the one we got Julia that they used at our house. It's here waiting for her!

Clorox wipes...another luxury of your generation. Lucky!

Anonymous said...

How about those Wal-Mart baskets?
Yuck!!!

Wade said...

Hey Shannon,

I think Macy (our golden retreiver for those who don't know) gets her feelings hurt because Kelly and I won't let her lick Tate.

We try to tell her, "You can't lick the baby if you also lick your rear-end!"

W

Chris and Sarah said...

I'm the same way! I never thought of myself as a germ-a-phobe, but now that Noelle puts everything in her mouth I think I'm going to have to change my ways. I have yet to use a public changing table. :-)

B-Mom said...

Wade:
I read your comment to Larry and he said, quote, "Yahoo! Way to go, Wade & Kelly!" It drives him batty to see a baby get licked by a dog. And, that is the same scenario he has used! :}

Shannon said...

Sharon, sometimes I wish we didn't have everything we have now...that way I wouldn't freak out about stuff like this!

Kara, don't get me started on shopping carts...yuuuuckk (as Kaylee would say)!

Wade, we have not let Connor lick Mallory in the face yet. He has gotten close, but I think he is too scared of her to do it! Hey, a lot like Macy:)

Sarah, I agree with the public changing tables. I usually put down a blanket or my travel changing pad. I'm always holding down Mallory's hands so she doesn't touch anything on it. Eeeew!

Kelly said...

I've never been more aware of germs than the past 6 weeks.

I don't think keeping some wipes handy is too over-the-top.

Chris and Sarah said...

I've taken a different approach. I use the if-I-can't-see-it-it-must-not-be-a-germ-method.

Shannon said...

Kelly, I've added a travel pack of Clorox wipees on my shopping list!

And I kind of agree (at least have gotten more used to the idea over the last 7 months) with you Chris. If I didn't, I think I'd be on the fast track to becoming OCD!