Friday, February 22, 2008

I need advice from some mommies out there!

After an "exciting" trip to the mall yesterday with Mallory in the umbrella stroller and Morgan in the Baby Bjorn, I am needing some suggestions on double strollers.


Before Morgan was born, I thought for sure I'd get a sit-n-stand. But, after yesterday's trip, I just don't think Mallory is big enough yet (she'll be 2 in June). She doesn't mind the stroller at all. She still sleeps in it, eats in it and enjoys being in it while we are out. I don't spend a whole lot of time out and about (at least right now), but I'm thinking for when Morgan gets bigger and we have more outings this spring/summer I'll need something.


I never thought I would want a tandem stroller (I've steered one before and they are HUGE!), but we tried a couple out at a store the other day, and actually liked them. We also tried out a side by side umbrella stroller. That was good, but it didn't have any cup holders or trays for snacks...and you can't put an infant carrier in it. And, we'd have to wait until this summer for Morgan to fit in it. How easy is it to really get through doorways with those? Plus, it is pretty close quarters for grabbing hair, pacifiers and whatever else they don't want the other to have (hopefully they will get along great, but they are sisters!!). I found a stroller that can convert to a sit n stand after you are done with the tandem style. That might be an option.
I also found this one (Contours options tandem) :



It seems like a really good stroller (you can change the way the seats face, remove a seat to accommodate an infant carrier etc.), but I can't find it in any stores to try it out before purchase. Has anyone ever used this stroller???
Basically, I'd love all the input because I am the WORLD'S WORST at changing my mind and not being happy with what I purchase. I (and Brad) really want to be happy with what I decide on.
Bring on the suggestions!!

9 comments:

Briggs said...

Well I've really thought about this and what I want to suggest is getting a babysitter when you need to go somewhere! Okay, I have no real help to offer but I would (being as practical as I am)borrow one or get one at a garage sale/consignment shop because in all actuality it will only be used for a short while.

Michelle said...

Shannon
I got the sit and stand xl. Which is the one that converts to the sit and stand. I like it. The only problem is that the car seat goes in the front and there is not a cup holder in the back. We have just in the last week taken the second seat off and Alyssa loves it. It is really long...but it pushes really easy. The only trouble we have had is when we put Alyssa in the front because it is a little harder to push, but it is still very useable.

Hope this helps.
Michelle

Meredith said...

Okay, okay, okay. Now I'm about to get on my soapbox as I look over at my beautiful Phil and Ted E3 buggy to let you know that it is THE BEST STROLLER EVER!! (However.....it is one of the most expensive too.) Yikes. HOWEVER, you can find them on Ebay and they are worth every penny. I bought mine before two, but knowing that we wanted a second child close to Ella, I got this instead of a travel system. They are great and you can attach a car seat to it and I have, even though it says not to, put on the back seat and put Ella in the back when Hayden was little and Hayden on top inside the carrier. Just go to the website and it will explain all of your many traveling options. Once again they're pricey, but for me, I only have it and it can be a one seater, two seater, jogging stroller or travel system and when you have one stroller for each of those jobs they would way out price what this single stroller can do. It's an investment, but Mallory is still so little it will be worth it. Those Contour things look cool though. I like that they can face each other. Oh, You can run or jog with the P&T with ease as you can make the front wheel fixed or stationary. Fun colors too!

The Bowens said...

HI Shannon- I am Shauna's cousin and linked to your blog from her header page. Anyway, I absolutely love our Phil and Ted's stroller. We only have one child but are planning on having more in the future and it is the perfect stroller for us. If you have any questions feel free to leave me a comment on my blog. Good Luck with your stroller shopping!

Anonymous said...

We bought the Joovy caboose tandem stroller (very similar to the sit n stand) this last Christmas. It has worked out perfectly, so far! Todd loves to get on & off, and it's not too big and easy to steer. They're $160ish. Good luck - you'll have to let us know what you decide!

Lori said...

Ok so I have no help for you, but I am very excited that you will have some great info. for me. ha ha! I have been looking around at some, and I do like the Phil & Ted, but don't think we can afford it right now. I looked at them on ebay and I haven't found one there for less than $500. What is the name of the ones you are looking at? I would like to look them up.

Lori said...

one more comment... some people hate graco, but the small town of abilene doesn't have much option for shopping, so the Graco Quattro Tour Duo Double Stroller (what a name) is highly rated, but the seats do not mover around like the one you are looking at, which is pretty cool. Anyway, just thought I would add that.

Brooke said...

I simply can not imagine how you mommas of two do it! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,
I'm a friend of Merediths and grew up in Belton. I just wanted to second the Phil and Ted's nomination. I've had the Schwinn double running stroller and an Eddie Bower double stroller. They don't compare to the Phil and Ted's. Good luck on the continued search.
Leslie Doke