Saturday, July 05, 2008

4th of July festivities

We had a fun 4th of July yesterday. It started out with the parade. We went last year, but did not know how big of a deal this parade was. So, this year, we got there super early and found our seats (in the blazing sun, so next year we will make sure we get some shade). For a small town, this parade is quite the production. Over 200 cars/"floats", lots of horses, cowboys lasso-ing, motorcycles, marching bands, cheerleaders, a man on a riding lawn mower pulling 32 radio flyer wagons...seriously. I would have a picture of all us, but, by the time I thought about it I was drenched with sweat (gross!) and did not want to capture that moment. I'm sure you ladies out there understand!

Here's the older gentleman on the riding lawn mower pulling all of his 32 family members behind him. How cool is that??!!





Mallory enjoyed it a lot more this year. When you ask her what she saw at the parade, she will tell you, "Horsies going shooey, firetrucks and girls." Last night she prayed for all of them:) Side note. I realize this dress has hearts on it. Technically, it's a Valentine's dress, but add a navy bow, and voila, it's a 4th of July dress!



If you look close, you can see her hair matted to her face with sweat! We were all nasty!!



Morgan was a trooper. It was during her morning nap time, so she didn't get her beauty rest. Between the firetrucks and motorcycles, I think she only slept about 20 minutes...maybe.





After a long afternoon nap, we thought we'd try some real baby food. So far, she loves the oatmeal, but is obviously not a fan of green beans!! There wasn't one bite that she didn't make a face or gagging sound with. Hmmm. Hopefully it's not telling of what is to come later. Mallory loved all baby food..and people food...and any food!

That night, we went over to a friend's house for our Sunday school class BBQ/fireworks. Mallory LOVED this. For her, if there is food, she is a happy camper. She ate a PB&J sandwich, cantaloupe, a hot dog, chips and cake. There were lots of other kids, so she had some entertainment as well. Then, we all stayed awake for the fireworks show. Mallory's favorite saying of the night, "Ooooh, that's a big one!" I was surprised #1 that Morgan stayed awake for them and #2 how interested Morgan was in the fireworks. We even got a couple of squeals from her. She was OUT before we even drove away from their house (hence the pjs in the next picture).


11 comments:

Kelly said...

Fun! That's a serious parade. I'm hoping for the best on the food! :)

Wade said...

Horsies going shooey is a hallmark of any 4th of July parade!

Ha!

Glad you guys had a great day!

Tell Brad that I tried getting your dad to challange Courtney to another push-up contest. Instead, he "dominated the Higlin girls" with his Ping Pong prowess - he was quite proud of himself afterwards!

(Hi Rick!)

JLB said...

So sweet! Happy Fourth to you! Cute pics of the girls...LOVE the rigged fourth of july dress....you're creative! Love!

B-Mom said...

I want a copy of the pic of Mallory waving the flag (taken from the back), That is an awesome shot...makes me wish I was still doing advertising!

Is Morgan going to be like her Dad used to be about food? Of course, he outgrew it though!

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are great!

Lori said...

I bet you were dying at the parade... what you do for your kids!! I don't know how Morgan slept with her blanket on her. It looked like a great parade though and I really want to ride behind the lawn mower man!!!

LaShay & Steve said...

Love the pics! Sounds like you guys had a good 4th! We should've sent our BEAUTIFUL San Antonio weather to you and cooled you off! We had cloudy skies and a nice breeze!

I hope Morgan doesn't grow up to be like her aunt when it comes to food! (me that is... not Jen or Kelly).

I can't believe how grown up Mallory looks and how big they are both getting!

Mrs. Mays said...

I'm so glad you found me. Your family is so precious, I would love to see you guys.

LaShay & Steve said...

LOVE your new page!!!! Looks GREAT!

B-Mom said...

LaShay stole my thunder! Your new page is so awesome! I love it!

Anonymous said...

We thought about you and Brad and the Girls while watching the Sun City, CA on July 3rd. There were a bunch of little kids running around and around, chasing each other, while waiting for the Fireworks to start. Just wait, that will probably be the Girls in a few more 4th of Julys....

And I heard that Wade!

Dad

DeeDee Price said...

Your family is too cute Shannon! Your girls are beautiful! Love the blog look, by the way! What fun!