Sunday, September 07, 2008

The stroller review

This is long overdue since we got the stroller back in March, but that is how I generally "roll"...late! I asked for lots of suggestions way back when. There was lots of good advice from all of you experienced mommas out there! We ended up deciding on this one.
We bought it back in March. Mallory was 20 months and Morgan was 3 months. In the beginning, we used the car seat attachment for Morgan and Mallory sat in the back seat. That worked great for us (check out the website for the picture, I can't find the one I have from a couple of months ago). We recently took out the back seat and changed the car seat bar to the snack bar for Morgan (Morgan is now 8 1/2 months and Mallory is 27 months). Mallory LOVES to be able to get on and off the stroller herself! Morgan isn't phased by sitting in a big girl seat now. No complaints from either!
We really like the stroller, but have had just a couple of problems.
The first is that the crotch buckle (kind of a necessity for a 5 point harness!) came completely off of Mallory's seat the first time we used it. I debated whether or not to send it back...but, you have to re-pack the stroller and I believe pay for shipping...so, we just dealt with it. Mallory is a very good stroller kid. She stays put and is pretty happy in strollers. This obviously wouldn't work if she climbed out all the time or was a monkey in strollers.
The second issue is the back seat. I read on several reviews that it didn't sit completely straight. It is true! Mallory looked uncomfortable when sitting back in the stroller. She usually sat up (or leaned forward so she could play with Morgan). We knew it would be a sit n stand longer than a tandem, so we didn't worry about it.
The third is probably worth sending back, but we don't have the box anymore and can't really live without the stroller with soccer season in full swing, so we are just dealing with it. This is going to be hard to explain without a picture, and I'm too lazy to go outside and take a picture of what I'm talking about! Basically the rubber lining on one of the tires has come out a little. Not completely, but just enough to go "hmmm, that isn't supposed to happen". We don't take the stroller off-roading or on crazy rugged terrain. Normally just the streets and soccer fields! It's not affecting the ride or steering, so that is also a reason we're just making due. Apparently, the same stroller is at Target, but has plastic wheels. On the OSA website, several people said it was worth the extra $20 for the rubber wheels. It seemed logical to me, but now I would probably just buy the one from Target!
A small fourth problem is the storage basket. It doesn't jut out, so it makes it very hard to get to stuff or put stuff inside the basket. That is a very minor problem, but one to note!
In conclusion, we really do like the stroller! The girls loved being able to look at each other when Mallory sat in the back. Mallory would go crazy with the canopies (opening and closing them), so I'm glad we're in sit n stand mode now! The stroller steers great, has good cup holders and folds up pretty compact (and it's easy to do). If Mallory was older when we were looking, I probably would've just gotten a Joovy. I know several people who love theirs. But, the one that we got was perfect for that in between stage our kids were in.

4 comments:

B-Mom said...

Hey...I'm sitting here with Mandy looking over the blogs. She has one too, mandy-hutchinsfamily.blogspot.com
You need to check hers out. She wants you to send her how to capture video from her video camera and download it. Can you do that, too. We've enjoyed looking at the blogs today! Love you!

Amanda said...

Hey Shannon - we have that exact same stroller! We never used the tandem mode, though. We went straight to the sit-n-stand. We like it, but I agree that it's hard to get stuff in and out of the storage basket. And I thought it was hard to steer at first until I figured it out! Overall we like it pretty well, but don't use it much. Sorry about the tires on yours.

Amanda said...

I got my sit-n-stand at a JBF consignment sale for $75. It's in great shape, too! I have an extra guest pass for the pre-sale on Wednesday evening in Waco. You can use it if you want to!

Amanda said...

At the risk of monopolizing your comments section, here I go again! I just realized that your sit-n-stand is NOT the exact same one I have. I have a Baby Trend Sit-n-Stand. Don't know why I didn't realize this the first through!